Friday, April 12, 2013

Let's get it started in here





 
Phoebe Howard

Now onto my latest obsession
sorry for fold in sample
Designers Guild

Grasscloth? Still love it but my new crush is crocodile wallpaper. Crikey! It's just so modern and fresh. Love it against the white trim. I would rough it up a bit and surround it with lots of crazy texture in my furniture and accessories.

Do you know what else I'm loving about it? It's wipeable. Yep, take that paw prints, magic markers and dirty, grimy hands!

You can find this at Aubusson Home in Wayne. It's simply spectacular.

Or, wait ... how about this one in your library with lacquered trim? 
Schumacher. I die.
Or this one...




Lonny Magazine


OK, Must stop myself. But this brings me to a question a reader had for me this week.

"When I want to redesign a room or freshen it up... where do I start?"

In my opinion, start with something you absolutely love and feel like you can't live without like crocodile wallpaper or ...

Art

Carolinezhurley.com

Fabric

Timorous Beasties Fabric - London Toile

 

Rug (this is the easiest place to start)
 
 
It's going to be different for everyone. Or even use a picture of a room that you love for inspiration.

Then develop a plan from there. Ask yourself:
What do I own already that will work with this?
How will it relate to surrounding rooms?
What do I need to purchase to pull it all together?

Have a final picture and a vision. Don't go willy nilly into it or you will find yourself really stuck.

For example, for my dining room redesign I fell in love with a fabric years ago that appeared in Cynthia Rowley's home.


Instead of using it as a fabric I chose to use the wallpaper so I could make it my own design.


 Cole & Sons Wallpaper

Also, to make my basically traditional room feel more modern I'm planning on adding a more contemporary rug, art and accessories. I just haven't gotten there yet... but I do have a vision ... I swear people!! And life gets in the way my friends. But I couldn't be happier with my jumping off point and I'll be honest I will always LOVE the hunt.

If you've started to refresh your own home and find yourself stuck and can't seem to pull it all together our good friends at Aubusson Home could help connect you with that magical fabric that will make it work. Or, there are lots of other sources in this area: Calico Corners, Pryors. etc. Not to mention the gazillion places on the internet.

Here's another tip when your out there searching for the right pieces/fabric for your design make sure you keep pictures of your room on your phone so you can refer back to it when shopping.

Still not sure where to go with your room? This is where you may need the help of a friend with a pair of fresh eyes to step in or even a quick consultation with a designer (really am not trying to promote myself here). But someone who can help you achieve the look you want so that you will enjoy your space to it's fullest.

Anyway, I hope I have answered your question. But, don't worry I will be exploring more resources in the near future for all of you 
do-it-yourselfers out there!

If you would like help in a redesign project or a second opinion on your design choices contact me at kraussteph@yahoo.com.





4 comments :

  1. The rug in the first pic- I WANT!! So beautiful and fresh. Your dining room looks amazing, love the wallpaper.

    xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Had lunch with my girlfriends the other day and I said that I was obsessed with that rug as well! Thanks for the complement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right...artwork, wallpaper, fabric or a rug are great jumping off points. Beautiful dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and reading my post! And, thanks for the compliment on my dining room!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...