Monday, April 22, 2013

Outdoor Eye Candy





What time is it?

It's time to order your spring bulbs and plant them when the frost warning is over. Which I'm hoping for sanity sake will be soon.

One of the bulbs that I like to plant in my spring cutting garden are gladiolus. They're great for tall containers and vases that I own that require tall stems like these ...

NIEMAN MARCUS

WILLIAMS-SONOMA


You can learn more about planting gladiolus here and here. You can purchase the bulbs here or at your local garden center. When planting bulbs you need to know your planting zone ... you can find that here.

This is a quick shot of how I used them this weekend. 










When I plant my bulbs I like to put them in a specific cutting garden on the side of my house that's not very visible because when they start popping up I'm so tempted to pull them because they look like weeds to me.

Also, if these flowers are in one section of my garden it makes it easier for me to surround them with wire or remember to spray them with Liquid Fence to prevent them from being eaten by the deer who hang out and leisurely graze in my backyard. Two others I like to plant at this time of year are Dahlias and Lilies.

How about you ... what do you like to plant? Do you plant annuals or bulbs or both at this time of year?

Random Thoughts


OK, she's at it again. I just can't seen to get enough of her ...why is that? Every time she posts a makeup tutorial I find myself getting sucked in. Here's her latest.



You can check out her website here.

6 comments :

  1. Thanks for the planting tips! I was just telling my husband that I need to do some planting to get some color around my white house! I have so much to learn about gardening! I wish I knew more. It is such an art and very much is a form of decorating. I am just clueless though! Warm weather surrender! Gees!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura- thanks for stopping by! It took me years to even learn what little I know but I just cruise the internet to get information and ideas. I only learned from doing that a lot of these bulbs/perennials that add color to your house come up looking like weeds first so its a good idea to hide them behind shrubs or put them in a not so visible spot in your beds. Good luck with your spring planting and hope you get the warm weather soon too!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have those three glass vessels and I just love them. I am so excited about spring and flowers. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know love those vessels - have ahd them for years now! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love your flower arrangement. So beautiful! I love the gladiolus because they really add height.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...